Re: Kernel Cross Compiling [update]

From: Paul Mundt
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 11:34:04 EST

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:53:50AM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> linux-2.6.3-rc3 linux-2.6.3
> config build config build
>
> sh/sh: OK FAILED OK FAILED
> sh64/sh: OK FAILED OK FAILED

sh64 doesn't exist in 2.6 yet, attempting to build a kernel for it is futile.

> others seem to require different? binutils (sh and sh64)

sh and sh64 require completely different toolchains. They're very different
platforms, and have very little in common.

> linux-2.4.25
> config dep kernel modules
>
> sh/sh: OK OK FAILED FAILED

These are due to erroring on .rept usage for filling in the sys_call_table in
arch/sh/kernel/entry.S, in 2.6 we've already cleaned this up in the LinuxSH
tree by just dropping it and padding out for NR_syscalls, I suppose something
similar will have to be done in the 2.4 case..

> sh64/sh64: OK OK FAILED FAILED

The sh64 build errors according to logs[7] are issues with your toolchain,
binutils in particular.