Re: UTF-8 practically vs. theoretically in the VFS API

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 11:30:13 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> I guess my question is when do we know the information is going to
> a terminal so we should translate it?

When a program is writing to a terminal device, then we know it's
going to a terminal _or_ to a program which is pretending to be one
(pseudo-terminal). Either way, the behaviour should be the same

The "screen" program can be used to do translation, although it's a
rather cumbersome way to go about it, and it has other effects which
are annoying (at least one key is always designated for "screen" commands).

-- Jamie