Re: Large slab cache in 2.6.1

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 06:15:56 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

What happened to the experiment of having slab pages on the (in)active
lists and letting them be free'd that way? Didn't somebody already do that? Ed Tomlinson and Craig Kulesa?

That was Ed. Because we cannot reclaim slab pages direct from the LRU

I think that this is needed: Bonwick's slab algorithm (i.e. two-level linked lists, implemented in cache_alloc_refill and free_block) is intended for unfreeable objects.
The dentry cache is a cache of freeable objects - a different algorithm would be more efficient for shrinking the dentry cache after an updatedb.
I had started prototyping, but didn't get far.
--
Manfred