Re: Large slab cache in 2.6.1

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 02:22:06 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Mike Fedyk wrote:
I'll have to test the kernel on two other machines for a few days before I put it on this particular machine. Unfortunately, both of them have < 1.5GB ram.

That is quite alright. I didn't intend to sound pushy in that
message, and I fully understand if you refuse to test patches on
your production machine.

No problem. It is really sad when a problem could be fixed if only the origional reporter put more effort into testing the proposed fixes.

Heh, so let me keep from being one of those reporters...

So let me know which patches are most likely to fix this problem.

PS, if I can apply them to my 2.6.1 kernel, then I wouldn't have to run the base kernel to compare changes of 2.6.1 -> 2.6.3 -> 2.6.3-mm -> your patch.

Each step would require a week-day to get a fair compairison.

The last patch I posted would be a good one to test if you possibly
can. You should hear someone shout within a few days if it does
anything nasty, so the 2.6.3-mm+patch path is probably safer ;)

Ok, I'll get started compiling tonight. Be sure to CC me if you have any updates to this patch.

Mike