Re: Large slab cache in 2.6.1

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 22:12:47 EST

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:03:50PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> It's quite likely that especially on a fairly idle machine, the
> dentry cache really _should_ be the biggest single memory user.

Only because updatedb/find/du populate it sporadically. things like
cron jobs run over night and fill the slab which *never* shrinks[1].

> Do you see any actual bad behaviour from this?

The page-cache is restricted to small sizes making the fs rather slow
at times. Ideally with 1.5GB of RAM I'd like to be able to get 800MB
or so into the page-cache... not 200MB.

Maybe gradual page-cache pressure could shirnk the slab?

--cw