2.4.24 - unload/load network module -> unstable network

From: Konstantin Kudin
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 17:09:34 EST

I do not know if this is significant, but I'll report
this just in case.

I was troubleshooting a network problem that
eventually turned out to be unrelated to the linux
box.

While doing that I unloaded the standard kernel
module for the Broadcom chip {tg3} and loaded
{bcm5700} from the vendor instead. At first things
seemed fine, but after a few hours the box lost the
network and did not respond to ping. The network came
up after a network restart (no reboot). I thought that
there was a problem with bcm5700, so I unloaded it,
and loaded tg3 back. Again, after a few hours the
network went down. So I had to reboot to make network
stable again.

When the tg3 module is loaded during the boot
sequence, things are stable for indefinite amount of
time.

Konstantin