Re: kernel/microcode.c error from new 64bit code

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 13:48:00 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > I'm just afraid that someone will mail you a patch replacing that with
>
> Well, the good news is that ">> 32" should cause gcc to complain with a
> big warning (exactly because it's undefined brhaviour on a 32-bit
> architecture), so I don't think it's easy to overlook.

What is wrong with the original?

- wrmsr(MSR_IA32_UCODE_WRITE, (unsigned int)(uci->mc->bits), 0);

I don't see how anything else could be correct.

Either we have high bits we need to worry about in 32bit mode, in which
case the 32bit variant is wrong. Or we don't have high bits to worry
about in which case attempting to set them is wrong.

Eric