Re: Non-GPL export of invalidate_mmap_range

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 18:24:43 EST

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 06:00:32PM -0500, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2004 09:01, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 03:37:26PM -0500, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > > Actually, I erred there in that invalidate_mmap_range should not export
> > > the flag, because it never makes sense to pass in non-zero from a DFS.
> >
> > Doesn't vmtruncate() want to pass non-zero "all" in to
> > invalidate_mmap_range() in order to maintain compatibility with existing
> > Linux semantics?
>
> That comes from inside. The DFS's truncate interface should just be
> vmtruncate. If I missed something, please shout.

Agreed, the DFS's truncate interface should be vmtruncate().

Your earlier patch has a call to invalidate_mmap_range() within
vmtruncate(), which passes "1" to the last arg, so as to get
rid of all mappings to the truncated portion of the file.
So either invalidate_mmap_range() needs to keep the fourth arg
or needs to be a wrapper for an underlying function that
vmtruncate() can call, or some such.

The latter may be what you intended to do.

Thanx, Paul