Re: stty utf8

From: Clayton Weaver
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 16:02:58 EST

[Note: I didn't have legacy hardware terminals in mind.
I was thinking more of a software terminal written from
scratch in utf-8 filesystems world.]

> > Done that way, Jamie's delete example is
> > backspace-space-backspace and remove sizeof(wchar_t)
> > from the input.

> You could store wchar_t in the terminal queue, but what would be the
> point? Removing a UTF-8 character from the input is _trivial_.

> > Ok, it takes more space than operating on the utf-8
> > encoding directly, but otherwise why not?

> Because there's no point.

Ie the convenience of iterating over a fixed size
character encoding in the terminal queue is negated
by other costs (legacy 8-bit filesystem support,
utf-8 control characters, et al)?

(I caught the discussion further down after posting.)

I'm spiritually with the "abort" people on this issue,
any opportunity to stab locale-overloaded character
values and arcane character encodings with shift
states in the heart is not to be passed up. "Every
character in every language has a unique value
everywhere that it is used, or we are not finished
fixing this yet."

But I agree with Linus that it is an admin policy
issue, not a kernel issue.

Thanks for your time,

Clayton Weaver
<mailto: cgweav@xxxxxxxxx>