Re: recommended "stable" compiler?

From: Michael Frank
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 09:08:07 EST

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:19:39 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe_alfaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 12:59, Nick Bartos wrote:
What is the recommended stable compiler for compiling the latest 2.4.x
kernel?

I'm no kernel guru, but I have been compiling 2.5/2.6 kernels for a long
time with gcc 3.3 with no problems at all. I had problems with gcc 3.2
in the past, miscompiling the ymfpci driver.

I am linux newbie, but have done 100's of kernel compiles the past 2 years.

AFAIK, 2.95.3 is still the official compiler and still supported.

2.95.3 without framepointers compiling kernels for 686 has never failed me
with 2.4 and 2.6 and I still use it exclusively for kernels.

3.2.2 made me lots of trouble with kernels - crashing within minutes.

Using RH 3.2.5 and Gentoo 3.2.3 for other compiles (whole system except kernel
in case of gentoo). No problems seen.

Have not tried 3.3 but by what I have read it is OK.

In any case keep your trusted old workhorse 2.95 around when trying something new...

Regards
Michael