Re: Eureka! (was Re: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity)

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 08:24:00 EST

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> JL> The other thing I like is that DN_IGNORE_SELF would be useful for
> JL> other applications too.
>
> While I agree in principle that DN_IGNORE_SELF would be quite an
> effective and clean way to solve the Samba problem and also
> applicable to other situations,

> I also imagine that the value of DN_IGNORE_SELF would be greatly
> affected by how the "self" is defined. A server implementation may
> be multithreaded, and you may or may not want to count all your
> threads in that server process as self; another may be implemented
> as one master process spawning multiple worker bee processes, in
> which case it would be more convenient if all the processes in one
> process group is counted as self.

Yes, indeed this is an issue. A multi-threaded program I'm working on
would want each thread to count separately - because the threads don't
know much about each other. Samba is more likely to want all threads
treated as a single unit.

Even in a program like Samba, you can imagine a plugin architecture or
something where 3rd party add-ons spawn threads, and those 3rd party
threads want to monitor a directory they are using, independent of the
main Samba threads.

-- Jamie