Regarding character encoding of filesystem names

From: Tejun Huh
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 20:38:17 EST

Hello, guys,

I've just seen the LWN summary of discussions regarding filename
charset encoding and read some of the threads. I had the same issues
myself and have been working on a solution. A new locale LC_FSCTYPE
is introduced to specify the charset encoding of filenames and libc
sits between the kernel and application and translates the charsets of
LC_CTYPE and LC_FSCTYPE appropriately. As proof-of-concept, I've
implemented a preloading library (libfsxlat) which overrides affected
libc functions. The README file contains detailed description of the
solution.

http://home-tj.org/libfsxlat/
http://home-tj.org/libfsxlat/files/README
http://home-tj.org/libfsxlat/screenshots.html

I'm currently working on merging LC_FSCTYPE into glibc and I believe
it's almost done. LC_FSCTYPE implementation in glibc includes iconv
caching and the syntax of LC_FSCTYPE is changed such that it's
identical to other locales. Any comments are welcomed and please
don't forget to CC me as I'm not on the list.

Cheers.

--
tejun