Re: Eureka! (was Re: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 19:26:38 EST

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I agree. It might even be acceptable not as a new flag, but as a
> modification to existing behaviour. I can't imagine that a file manager is
> all that interested in seeing the changes it itself does be reported back
> to it. And I don't really know of any other uses of dnotify.

I take that back. Even a file manager may very well be interested in moves
that it does itself - most of them have some soft of multi-window view
capability, and if they use dnotify, they might well be using it to keep
the different views coherent.

So yes, a new flag would likely be required.

That said, who actually _uses_ dnotify? The only time dnotify seems to
come up in discussions is when people complain how badly designed it is,
and I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that they use it and
that they liked it ;)

Linus