Re: [drivers][sata-promise] TX4 has the cache enabled, it shouldbe disabled

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 18:39:07 EST

MALET JL wrote:
hello,
I've a TX4 150 card and encounter the following effects :
->"shorts" files (<1Mo) are copied at 35Mo/s av
->"long" files (>1Mo) are "burst" copied (ie a big "burst" then hangs, burst, hangs) this has the following effects :
1) average fall back to 12Mo/s
2) systems "hangs" (mouse, keyboard behave like a 100% used cpu) but cpu usage is still slow
3) mplayer reset the streams every second (cpu usage still low)

this is 1-2 week that I have this issue, but can't find where it comes from...... yesterday by chance when I loaded sata-promise I noticed "write through" this remembered be some issue I go when I first had the sata board, making a short research made me remember :

DISABLE THE BOARD CACHE! on windows this is the same when cache is enabled : performance drops, system interactive is awfull....

There is no on-board cache on the TX4.

Further, you are thinking about the SCSI layer's caching support, i.e. basically whether the driver supports SYNCHRONIZE CACHE (aka flush-cache) scsi command.

Jeff