Re: HOWTO use udev to manage /dev

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 18:12:43 EST

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 07:22:30PM -0300, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > - modify the rc.sysinit script to call the start_udev script as one of
> > the first things that it does, but after /proc and /sys are mounted.
> > I did this with the latest Fedora startup scripts with the patch at
> > the end of this file.
> >
> > - make sure the /etc/udev/udev.conf file lists the udev_root as /dev.
> > It should contain the following line in order to work properly.
> > udev_root="/dev/"
> >
> > - reboot into a 2.6 kernel and watch udev create all of the initial
> > device nodes in /dev
> >

> > If anyone has any problems with this, please let me, and the
> > linux-hotplug-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list know.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to work if you
> don't have /dev/null before it gets mounted.

Did you build udev using glibc or klibc? I used klibc and it worked
just fine, as udev and udevd does not need /dev/null to work, unlike
programs built against glibc.

As for needing the fb nodes, you should probably just add them to the
start_udev script in the section that we add the other needed symlinks
to /dev until the kernel starts exporting those sysfs entries (hopefully
any day now...)

thanks,

greg k-h