Re: Eureka! (was Re: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 16:32:11 EST

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Yes: The slow part of my brain thinks dnotify with a new flag
> DN_IGNORE_SELF, meaning don't notify for things done by the process
> which is watching, would provide equivalent functionality.

Basically, yes. However, I can tell you that directory name caching is
damn hard, and the kernel does it better than anybody else.

The hardest part of caching is not filling the cache - it's knowing when
to release it. In other words, forget the filling part, and think about
the replacement policy (balacing between the page cache, the directory
cache, and regular pages). The kernel already has that.

Besides, I really think that we can do this with basically just a few
lines of code in the kernel (apart from the actual case comparison, which
I'm not even going to worry about - that's totally independent of the
cache handling itself, and I don't care about how to write a
"windows_equivalent_strncasecmp()".

Linus