Re: Non-GPL export of invalidate_mmap_range

From: Daniel Phillips
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 16:02:29 EST

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 19:19, Andrew Morton wrote:
> I don't see any licensing issues with the patch because the filesystem
> which needs it clearly meets Linus's "this is not a derived work" criteria.
>
> And I don't see a technical problem with the export: given that we export
> truncate_inode_pages() it makes sense to also export the corresponding
> pagetable shootdown function.
>
> Yes, this is a sensitive issue. Can we please evaluate it strictly
> according to technical and licensing considerations?
>
> Having said that, what concerns issues remain with Paul's patch?

Hi Andrew,

OpenGFS and Sistina GFS use zap_page_range directly, essentially doing the
same as invalidate_mmap_range but skipping any vmas belonging to MAP_PRIVATE
mmaps. This avoids destroying data on anon pages. GPFS and every other DFS
have the same problem as far as I can see, and it isn't addressed by
exporting invalidate_mmap_range as it stands. Paul?

Regards,

Daniel