Re: Reserved page flaging of 2.4 kernel memory changed recently?

From: Michael Frank
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 12:53:15 EST

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:35:14 +0100, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi!

>That means that PG_nosave | PG_reserved indeed is "PG_donttouch", but
>PG_nosave has slightly different meaning.

Makes sense, but PG_reserved is used to keep VM out of these pages.

Can we have a seperate bit PG_donttouch which is set with PG_nosave
| PG_reserved in reserved/video/BIOS/Broken CPU areas?

Why?

I do not see what is wrong with 2 separate flags... In fact, you might
want to

#define PG_donttouch (PG_reserved | PG_nosave)

and (modulo atomic macros etc), it would work for everyone...

As your earlier post pointed out, it would not work in swsusp nosave area
which is only PG_reserved | PG_nosave.

Are we too short of bits ? ;)

What about:
- export swsusp __nosave range for netdump override to dump __nosave page(s)

- debugger (linked in) uses swsusp __nosave range to enable access to __nosave page(s)

Regards
Michael