Re: Reserved page flaging of 2.4 kernel memory changed recently?

From: Michael Frank
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 03:54:24 EST

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:26:30 +0100, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi!

mhf wrote:

I actually would like to rename the bit PG_nosave to PG_donttouch ;)

to make a point with regard to:

no transfer of page contents during suspend/resume
no netdump
no debugger access without override

... but the name does not matter and we do not have to change it.

Its used for swsusp internal data, too...

Yes of course - how else would swsusp run, but these data are also not "touched"
during suspend and resume wrt transfer of page content.

x86 Pages for PG_nosave:

Video/BIOS 0xA0000-0XFFFFF
Anything reserved < max_pfn
Pentium 2 broken highmem pages
Driver specific areas in DMA zone are also thinkable

.. or else you get mce's or possibly crashes on newer x86 HW and on 64Bit for sure.
- we had a mce recently at 0xa0000 on a Athlon XP and I went digging...

Regards
Michael