Re: hard lock using combination of devices

From: Carl Thompson
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 18:27:49 EST

Quoting Vlasenko Denis <vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

How can Linux folks fix bugs if kernel contains a binary-only part?

As I said, I have the same problem with native Linux drivers too. When I'm not
testing I do prefer to use DriverLoader and Windows drivers because it is more
robust and less buggy than the Linux drivers. (Wow, I never thought I'd be
saying that!)

>> 1: 26061 XT-PIC i8042
>> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
>> 8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
>> 9: 2020 XT-PIC acpi
>> 10: 2187181 XT-PIC yenta, driverloader
>> 11: 111 XT-PIC ALI 5451
>> 12: 2399118 XT-PIC i8042
>> 14: 169829 XT-PIC ide0
>> 15: 1 XT-PIC ide1
>> NMI: 0
>> LOC: 41036749
>> ERR: 275764

You seem to have lots of ERRs too, ~1 each 2 secs.
That's bad, maybe flakey interrupt controller?
BIOS writers paying dirty with SMM?

Hmmm... Didn't notice that. Is there anything that can be done about it?

I had such problems with 11g card and 'latest' BIOS for
my old mainboard. Older BIOS was ok.

There are no BIOS downloads available for my notebook, unfortunately.

What 11g card and driver are you using?

--
vda

Thanks,