Re: UTF-8 and case-insensitivity

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 18:21:58 EST

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 tridge@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Why do you focus on linear directory scans?
>
> Because a large number of file operations are on filenames that don't
> exist. I have to *prove* they don't exist.

And you only need to do that ONCE per name.

There is zero reason to do it over and over again, and there is zero
reason to push case insensitivity deep into the filesystem.

Have you checked how many filesystems we have? Hint:

ls -l fs/ | grep '^d' | wc

The thing is, you have to realize that Windows-compatibility is very very
much second-class. If you refuse to realize that, you can't argue
effectively, because you are arguing for things that simply WILL NOT
happen.

So instead of having this crazy windows-centric idea, I would suggest you
try to come up with ways to make it easier for you. I can tell you already
that it won't be everything you want or need, but quite frankly, your
choice is between _nada_ and something reasonable.

So give it up. We're not making the same STUPID mistakes that Microsoft
has done.

Linus