Re: New do_mremap vulnerabitily.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 17:29:43 EST

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Chris Friesen wrote:

> There is still a call to do_munmap() that does not check the return
> code, called from move_vma(), which in turn is called in do_mremap().
>
> Can that call ever fail and cause Bad Things to happen?

Yes it can fail, and no, bad things can't happen. We could return the
error code to user space, but on the other hand, by the time the munmap
fails we would already have done 90% of the mremap(), so it doesn't much
help user space to know that the old area still has a vma, but no pages
associated with it.

Linus