Testing for extended PCI config space

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 14:04:29 EST

It's kind of tricky to figure out whether we can access the extended
config space or not. Given that nobody checks the return value from
pci_read_config_*(), I don't know whether we'll be able to persuade them
to check pdev->cfg_size or not, but we can at least try to get it right.

/**
* pci_cfg_space_size - get the configuration space size of the PCI device.
*
* Regular PCI devices have 256 bytes, but PCI-X 2 and PCI Express devices
* have 4096 bytes. Even if the device is capable, that doesn't mean we can
* access it. Maybe we don't have a way to generate extended config space
* accesses, or the device is behind a reverse Express bridge. So we try
* reading the dword at 0x100 which must either be 0 or a valid extended
* capability header.
*/
static int pci_cfg_space_size(struct pci_dev *dev)
{
int pos;
u32 status;

pos = pci_find_capability(dev, PCI_CAP_ID_EXP);
if (!pos) {
pos = pci_find_capability(dev, PCI_CAP_ID_PCIX);
if (!pos)
goto fail;

pci_read_config_dword(dev, pos + PCI_X_STATUS, &status);
if (!(status & (PCI_X_STATUS_266MHZ | PCI_X_STATUS_533MHZ)))
goto fail;
}

if (pci_read_config_dword(dev, 256, &status) != PCIBIOS_SUCCESSFUL)
goto fail;
if (status == 0xffffffff)
goto fail;

return PCI_CFG_SPACE_EXP_SIZE;