Re: 2.6.3-mm1

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 11:37:48 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.3/2.6.3-mm1/

- Added the dm-crypt driver: a crypto layer for device-mapper.

People need to test and use this please. There is documentation at
http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/.

We should get this tested and merged up. We can then remove the nasty
bio remapping code from the loop driver. This will remove the current
ordering guarantees which the loop driver provides for journalled
filesystems. ie: ext3 on cryptoloop will no longer be crash-proof.

After that we should remove cryptoloop altogether.

It's a bit late but cyptoloop hasn't been there for long anyway and it
doesn't even work right with highmem systems (that part is fixed in -mm).

What definition of "stable kernel" do you use which includes removal of features which were reasons to migrate to 2.6 from 2.4? This change would mean having to add dm to the kernel which otherwise doesn't use it, carry dm utilities on the system whcih are otherwise unneeded, and train people to use and not use dm.

I expect major things to change in a development series, but less major things than this have been pushed to 2.7, why is this being forced in?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc