Re: Oopsing cryptoapi (or loop device?) on 2.6.*

From: Jari Ruusu
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 09:07:12 EST

Jan Rychter wrote:
> Jari> Do you mind doing a a quick grep:
>
> Jari> cd /path/to/your/kernel/source grep "Jari Ruusu"
> Jari> drivers/block/loop.c
>
> Jari> If you see my name there, your kerneli.org cryptoapi enabled
> Jari> kernel is running same loop code I wrote years ago. Those
> Jari> loop-jari-something patches that you find on the net, are just
> Jari> copies of old loop-AES code.
>
> No, it is not running this code. The code that works well for me is the
> external cryptoapi (as modules) with last update in Feb 2002.

Then you are running loop that fails in few seconds using my tests.

> How do you get a file-backed encrypted filesystem to work under Linux
> 2.4.24?

Writable file backed loops received death sentence when GFP_NOFS was
introduced to kernel, and they have been on death row since then. The best
way is to set up partition backed loop using loop-AES. Mainline loop is
still prone to deadlock, both file backed and device backed.

--
Jari Ruusu 1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9 DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD