Re: raw sockets and blocking

From: Hasso Tepper
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 03:44:36 EST

David Schwartz wrote:
> > I'm guessing the driver or network layer is
> > blocking the socket because it is waiting for the link to come
> > back, however would it not be better to discard the packet,
> > especially a raw packet?
>
> If you want to discard the packet, you do it. Why should the
> kernel accept a packet just to discard it if it's smart enough to
> not accept it?

>From "man sendmsg" in Debian unstable (manpage is dated 2003-10-25).

ENOBUFS
The output queue for a network interface was full. This generally
indicates that the interface has stopped sending, but may be
caused by transient congestion. (Normally, this does not occur in
Linux. Packets are just silently dropped when a device queue
overflows.)

--
Hasso Tepper
Elion Enterprises Ltd.