Re: UTF-8 practically vs. theoretically in the VFS API

From: Marc Lehmann
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 02:25:39 EST

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:06:21PM -0700, Alex Belits <abelits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> UTF-8 terminals (and variable-encoding terminals) alreay exist,
> gnome-terminal is one of them. They are, of course, bloated pigs, but I

rxvt-unicode (mixed fonts, bad complex script), and mlterm (no mixed
fonts, very good complex script support), are not all bloated, have a
_much_ smaller memory footprint than xterm and are even faster on text
output and scrolling complex scripts than xterm (by a factor of two).

(Of course, gnome-terminal is bloated. loading it requires 45MB of main
memory here and then it's still 5-10 times slower than xterm).

That UTF-8/Unicode in any way means bloated (I know you did not directly
imply this) is a widely circulating but wrong idea nowadays.

--