Re: major network performance difference between 2.4 and 2.6.2-rc2

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 22:52:22 EST

Hilko Bengen wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> writes:

What would be nice is some kind of table approach, hash or tree,
which allows operations to be matches against all of the IPs in a
group, and obviously to add/delete entries. I think for simplicity
individual IPs rather than CIDR blocks are desirable.

Do you mean something like <http://www.hipac.org/>?

Thank you for the pointer, it's not what I meant but probably will be highly useful anyway.

What I had in mind was a single rule which would apply against a table of IP addresses and CIDR blocks instead of one. Somewhat like the access table in sendmail, but perhaps more like a database in that I could add and delete to/from the table at runtime while always leaving the table valid (pseudo-atomic operations).

Perhaps the example of what I would like to do is better than what I wrote. Think of tables in iproute2.

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --stable badguys --dport smtp -j REJECT
then as I detect...
iptables -T badguys add 270.1.2.3
iptables -T badguys add 270.4.5.16/4

So I could add and delete to a table, and it's use would not be limited to a single rule. It would be an independent in-memory table of some (hash?) organization.

I think the link you kindly provided is a viable solution, it's just not quite what I had in mind, allowing me to use an IP set in multiple or changing ways without redefinition for each IP.

Didn't mean to get this going in this list, it grew from a chance comment.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc