Re: Linux 2.6.3-rc4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 18:13:50 EST

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> No, I2C_ALGOBIT depends on I2C.
>
> > That's really what the true dependency is, logically.
>
> Below is a suggested fix that lets FB_RADEON_I2C select I2C.

Thinking about it, this does the wrong thing for _another_ reason.

Basically, if you compile radeonfb as a module, and say "Y" to RADEON_I2C,
then that should _not_ force I2C to be built-in to the kernel, but that
is in fact exactly what this would force.

Damn. I think your first patch was "more correct", but there's no question
that it was also pretty ugly and had exactly the same problem wrt
I2C_ALGOBIT, methinks.

What we actually want to say is something like "select I2C=FB_RADEON",
which makes the minimal dependency of I2C be the same value as FB_RADEON
(which is a tristate) rather than FB_RADEON_I2C (boolean).

Roman, maybe you can help with something that actually gets this right?

Linus