Re: Linux 2.6.3-rc4 Massive strange corruption with new radeonfb

From: Charles Johnston
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 18:00:42 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 07:08, Charles Johnston wrote:

Upon bootup, radeonfb is obviously not initializing the hardware correctly. Massive amounts of random-looking garbage, plus a weird effect I've never seen before, like someone pouring milk _up_ the
screen. (Yeah, it's the best I could come up with)

It's a Dell Inspiron 8600 with Mobile Radeon 9600 and 1920x1200 LCD.

Looks like the driver cannot find any info about your flat panel
in the BIOS ROM image. I suppose we can thank DELL for hacking the
BIOS in ways that aren't compatible with all others laptops...

Can you try commenting out the call to radeon_map_ROM() and let it
look for the RAM based BIOS instead ? Let me know...

Ok, it worked fine with that line commented out. I can switch vt's, be in X, etc. no problems.

The only issue I see is when I do a 'clear' on the vt, it doesn't clear the text, but blanks every nth row of pixels. Switching vt's and back clears the screen.

There are also a few rows of garbage pixels at the bottom that linger across vt switches.

Charles Johnston
cjohnston@xxxxxxxxxxxx