Re: UTF-8 practically vs. theoretically in the VFS API

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 15:59:10 EST

Måns Rullgård wrote:
> > I'd like a way to type something like "touch zöe.txt" on an ordinary
> > latin1 terminal and get a UTF-8 filename in my filesystem. Thanks :)
>
> Then hack either bash (or whatever shell you use) or touch to do just that.

Hacking touch is obviously useless - I'd need to hack all the other
2000 shell utilities to get any useful behaviour.

Hacking bash -- actually readline -- is a much better idea. Then you
can enter names and they'll be created right. The only flaw in this
is that "ls" won't be useful, so that'll need to be hacked as well. etc.

No, I think hacking the terminal I/O is the best bet here. Then _all_
programs which currently work with UTF-8 terminals, which is rapidly
becoming most of them, will work the same with both kinds of terminal,
and the illusion of perfection will be complete and beautiful.

-- Jamie