Re: e1000 problems in 2.6.x

From: Anton Blanchard
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 13:31:04 EST

Hi,

> I am experiencing same problem with e1000 on 2.6.3-rc2-mm1 and all
> previous 2.6 kernels with getting the transmit timed out messages.I do
> not get the transmission errors though.The same setup works fine on 2.4
> kernel just like yours.

We beat a recent 2.6 up with specweb on ppc64 and got the transmit
timeout errors within about 30 seconds. Disabling TSO made the problem
go away. (I actually hacked the driver forgetting we can do it via
ethtool these days).

Scott: it smells like the TSO early write back issue, perhaps the new
version of the fix isnt working properly. I need to verify that turning
TSO on/off via ethtool has the same effect.

Anton