Re: transferring data through the sound card

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 10:33:16 EST

Jamie Lokier wrote:

Nischal Saxena wrote:

how is it possible to transfer data across two PC using the sound card.

It's possible using a software modem, but it's much easier to use a
network card instead :)

Since Nischal didn't specify which port on the sound card he was thinking about, I started to think that a SPDIF digital output / input, would give much better results:

6 channels, 16 bit, 48KHz = 4.6Mbit/s

I don't know enough about the standard digital format and the maximum bandwidth that we could get from a sound card, but in theory we probably could connect the digital input on a sound card to digital output on another card (and vice-versa) and map the whole thing as a network interface :)

Anyway, this is an extremely crazy, time wasting, "just do it if you have loads of time to throw out the window" kind of project, because the cost of ethernet NIC's is extremely low these days.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"