Re: UTF-8 practically vs. theoretically in the VFS API

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 02:43:57 EST

Marc Lehmann wrote:

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 07:48:19PM +0000, John Bradford <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Quote from Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>:
None of this is a real problem, if everything is set up correctly and
bug free. Unfortunately the Just Works thing falls apart in the,
(frequent), instances that it's not :-(.

And this is the whole point.

BTW, to people trying to explain some properties of UTF-8 to me. I don't
think ad-hominem attacks like assuming that I don't understand UTF-8
(without any indication that this is so) are useful.

The point here is that the kernel does, in a very narrow interpretation,
not support the use of UTF-8, because proper support of UTF-8 means that
no illegal byte sequences will be produced.

So does the kernel support the English language? Does your
email client?