Re: 2.6.2: P4 ClockMod speed

From: dual_bereta_r0x
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 16:51:03 EST

Dominik Brodowski wrote:
Hi,

I have a P4 2.4 running @ 3.12GHz.

So you overclock your CPU but then throttle it down... strange, but well...

Actually it isn't throttled down, only sysfs is showing it with low speed. It *is* running @ 3.12 (or /proc/cpuinfo and boot messages are lying to me) when in full power.

In 2.6.0, i could change it frequency via speedfreqd(8) up to its actual speed. Since 2.6.1, its max speed is locked on cpu *real* speed.

It's just a change of appearance -- the cpufreq driver uses the theoretical
speed of the CPU for its calculations; the actual CPU speed isn't
affected. You can verify this by looking at /proc/cpuinfo which still tells
3124.376 MHz.

By doing so it becomes easier to enter different frequencies e.g. into
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed -- on my desktop, typing in
1200000 is easier than 12121224... [*]

Sure but if i want to downgrade it, for example, by night, to a lower speed, and then next day return it to full power? Will I stuck at 2.4GHz?

Dominik

[*] The _actual_ CPU speed should be used on all cpufreq drivers where this
specific CPU frequency has implications to external components, e.g. LCD,
memory or pcmcia devices. Where only the _frequency ratio_ is of importance
[for loops_per_jiffy and friends] such "rounding" is acceptable, as long as
the ratio is constant.

Indeed. I'll showing in LCD a lower speed than the running.

--
dual_bereta_r0x -- Alexandre Hautequest
ArenaNetwork Lan House & Cyber -- www.arenanetwork.com.br

Três anéis para os Reis Élficos sob este céu,
Sete para os Senhores-Anões em seus rochosos corredores,
Nove para Homens Mortais, fadados ao eternos sono,
Um para o Senhor do Escuro em seu escuro trono
Na Terra de Mordor onde as Sombras se deitam.
Um Anel para a todos governar, Um Anel para encontrá-los,
Um Anel para a todos trazer e na escuridão aprisioná-los
Na Terra de Mordor onde as Sombras se deitam.