smbfs / loop: problematic or not unuseable?

From: Nico Schottelius
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 09:07:30 EST

Hello!

While still suffering from my more or less dead harddisk I am seeing
other nice problems. I copied my blowfish encrypted partition to a samba
server. Now I want to mount it and use it:

pc-it-nico# mount
[...]
//fs2/home on /home/nico/fs2 type smbfs (rw)

pc-it-nico# mount /home/nico/fs2/home-13-Feb-2004.tar.crypt /tmp/ -o loop,encryption=blowfish
Password:
ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Invalid argument

Well, let's try to use a local copy:

pc-it-nico# cd ~nico/fs2
pc-it-nico# cp home-13-Feb-2004.tar.crypt ..
pc-it-nico# cd ..
pc-it-nico# mount -t xfs home-13-Feb-2004.tar.crypt scice -o loop,encryption=blowfish
pc-it-nico#

This works fine.

Just wanted to report this and ask whether this is what it should be.

Greetings,

Nico

ps: If somebody can recommened me a good manufacturer for 2.5" notebook
disks, please send me a private mail. I am looking for something
running longer than 2 months, having some performance, still beiing
not too loud :)