Re: e1000 problems in 2.6.x

From: Steve Simitzis
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 21:35:30 EST

i should have mentioned in my email that i tried every combination of
settings: auto-neg on the box and forced on the switch, both forced
(to the same settings, of course), forced on the box with auto-neg on
the switch, and auto-neg on both sides. in all cases, the result was
the same: RX packet errors and the same watchdog messages. what i thought
was particularly strange was that the switch refused to auto-negotiate
full duplex.

(someone on another list suggested to try booting with the noapic
option, which i tried for good measure, even though i don't see
how that could have helped. again, no improvement.)

i was initially tempted to assume they were hardware problems, until
i noticed that the problems only appeared when running a 2.6 kernel.
also, the machines are only a few months old, so i'm assuming that
all the hardware is modern enough to do the right thing.

if there's anything you'd recommend trying out, please let me know.
i considered trying to run the 2.4.22 driver in a 2.6 installation,
but i didn't know if any of the driver code depended on anything else
elsewhere in the kernel source.

--

steve simitzis : /sim' - i - jees/
pala : saturn5 productions