re: Kernel Cross Compiling

From: Dan Kegel
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 16:13:40 EST

Herbert Poetzl <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm currently investigating the requirements/doability
of a kernel cross compiling test bed/setup, able to do
automated kernel builds for different architecture,
just to see if it compiles and later to verify if a given patch breaks that compile on any of the tested
archs ...

Great idea!

I decided to use binutils 2.14.90.0.8, and gcc 3.3.2,
but soon discovered that gcc-3.3.2 will not be able to build a cross compiler for some archs like the
alpha, ia64, powerpc and even i386 ;) without some
modifications[2] but with some help, I got all headers
fixed, except for the ia64, which still doesn't work

Wouldn't it be easier to use http://kegel.com/crosstool
which already builds good toolchains for just about every
CPU type?
- Dan

--
US citizens: if you're considering voting for Bush, look at these first:
http://www.misleader.org/