Re: ext2/3 performance regression in 2.6 vs 2.4 for small interleavedwrites

From: Jon Burgess
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 10:01:39 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

So you'll see that instead of a single full-bandwidth
write, we do two half-bandwidth writes. If it weren't for disk writeback
caching, it would be as much as 4x slower.

Write caching does indeed make a big difference. Here is a test run on a drive with and without write caching (hdparm -W 0/1). The test was done on 2.6.2 with ext3 and shows the write speed in MB/s:

Write Cache 1 Stream 2 Streams
Enabled 21.54 3.66
Disabled 18.11 0.46

The two stream case is almost 10x slower without write caching.
I don't think this explains the difference between 2.4 and 2.6 unless one of them changes the write cache mode of the drive.

Jon