Re: your mail

From: Maciej Zenczykowski
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 13:12:37 EST

The deleted marks in question mean that the file in question has been
unlinked (rm'ed), however it is still being used and the inode in question
still exists. This memory is in use and thus validly takes up mapping
space. You'd need to unmap inorder to free that memory. Deleting a file
does not delete that file until _all_ processes close and unmap any
references to it. What's more worrying is the large area of unmapped
memory below 1GB (0x40000000), wonder why it doesn't get allocated? But I
think the answer is that the standard allocator only searches 1GB..3GB for
free areas...

Cheers,
MaZe.