Re: IPV4 as module?

From: der . eremit
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 08:34:07 EST

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:20:07 +0100, you wrote in linux.kernel:

>> That's not all correct. You can fit 700 MB data on a CD-ROM, but booting
>> is still emulated from a 1.44 MB floppy (or some other floppy/HDD
>> images, but many BIOSses won't accept those (or handle them correctly)).
> Baloney. Most BIOSes support "no emulation" booting these days; in fact,
> there are more that don't do floppy emulation correctly than the few very
> old BIOSes which didn't do no emulation.

Even if wanting to support BIOSes that don't do "no emulation", all it
takes is simple initrd to locate and mount the iso9660 filesystem off the
real device - and that easily fits on a 2.88 MB floppy image used for
emulated floppy boot. Should also fit on an 1.44 MB image, although I've
not seen a BIOS yet that didn't like a 2.88 MB image on a CD.

--
Ciao,
Pascal