Re: PATCH, RFC: 2.6 Documentation/Codingstyle

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 05:17:00 EST

Michael Frank wrote:

On Friday 13 February 2004 17:10, Andrew Morton wrote:

Yes, 80 cols sucks and the world would be a better place had CodingStyle
mandated 96 columns five years ago. But it didn't happen.

As to "five years ago", what about review the coding style situation before starting 2.7:

In view of better hardware, increasing linelength a little to 96 could be considered without increasing the number of indentation levels.

I hope not, I usually use 80 columns. Email's using 80 columns.
And lines start becoming difficult for the eyes to follow as they
get longer. Maybe this isn't so much a problem with C code due to
indentation and the sparseness of the lines.