Re: ext2/3 performance regression in 2.6 vs 2.4 for small interl

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 21:08:20 EST

Jamie Lokier wrote:

Helge Hafting wrote:

Something similiar could be done for io niceness. If we run out of
normal priority io, how about not issuing the low priority io
right away. Anticipate there will be more high-priority io
and wait for some idle time before letting low-priority
requests through. And of course some maximum wait to prevent
total starvation.

The problem is quite similar to scheduling for quality on a network
device. Once a packet has started going it, usually you cannot abort
the packet for a higher priority one.

I thought there was a CBQ I/O scheduling patch or such to offer some
kind of I/O niceness these days?

Yeah its Jens' CFQ io scheduler. It is in -mm, and I think it
has adjustable priorities now.

I have plans to do IO priorities in the anticipatory scheduler
(significantly differently to CFQ). One day...