Re: JFS default behavior (was: UTF-8 in file systems? xfs/extfs/etc.)

From: Robin Rosenberg
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 20:47:29 EST

On Friday 13 February 2004 02.23, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> > Is there a place to store character set information in these file systems?
>
> Please don't confuse character set with character encoding. The
> problem we are talking about here is about character encoding.
> Once upon a time the two were muddled; that's why MIME and HTTP use
> "charset" to mean character encoding.
I shall try not to mix them in the future. The reason for the name in MIME is
probably because a (mime)charset does specify a character set (+encoding),
while the mime-encoding only specifies raw bytes.

> And the answer is: yes, you can store it wherever you want :)
I was thinking of the file system meta data so mount or the kernel or the fs could
handle it.

> > Some apps simply don't think non-ascii is relevant. Xmms is one, although
> > is doesn't crash at least. My guess was that it was a font problem since it
> > looks like XMMS uses some special fonts.
>
> It's not a font problem. XMMS simply displays each byte as a separate
> character because that's what it assumes it should do. No font will fix that.
I assumed a font problem because my machine is using ISO-8859-1 and
XMMS doesn't display tose non-ascii characters I use; of course it could be both.

-- robin