Re: bug, or is it? - SCHED_RR and FPU related

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 19:59:35 EST

Rudo Thomas wrote:

Hi.

xmms probably goes into an infinite loop, preventing anything else
from being scheduled, right?

Nope. When I turn the suid bit off, xmms (does not run with SCHED_RR and) just
hangs consuming no CPU cycles. Strange.

I will look into it tomorrow, the invalid FP division was not the problem, its
results are.

I think xmms changes the way it runs depending on whether realtime
scheduling is set or not, but I could be wrong.

Programs using realtime scheduling need to be coded pretty
carefully. Xmms is not something I'd bet my system's stability on.