Strange boot with multiple identical disks

From: Konstantin Kudin
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 14:31:58 EST

Hi everybody,

Here is the issue. A redhat 9 linux system had 2
drives, /hda and /hdb. Then /hda started developing
bad clusters {UncorrectableError}, so I got an
identical warranty replacement drive.

Then I hooked up the new drive as /hdc, and did a
sector by sector copy {dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
conv=noerror,sync} Overall, I got ~2k of bad 512B
sectors.

Then I swaped the fresh one to /hda, and put aside
the failing one. I booted, did fsck on all partitions
and also raids, and things came up fine. So far so
good.

Now I am trying to add the failing one as /hdc, and
boot. Linux starts to display all kinds of weird
messages, and thinks that / partition was shut down
uncleanly. I just hit "reset". Then I disable /hdc via
the boot option hdc=noprobe, and things boot fine. If
I try to disable raid via raid=noautodetect, the bunch
of errors still appears and the boot is no go. Done
this several times, without /hdc things are fine, with
- all kinds of issues.

What is the problem for linux to boot on /hda when
/hdc is detected and has almost identical setup?
Where does it read all the garbage that starts to
screw up the boot process when /hdc is detected? I'd
like to hook up /hdc to wipe out the data there. The
drive is huge, so I'd rather wipe it out while working
then under other circumstances.

Thanks!

Konstantin