Re: JFS default behavior (was: UTF-8 in file systems?xfs/extfs/etc.)

From: Dave Kleikamp
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 10:43:56 EST

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 09:26, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:45:32 CST, Andy Isaacson said:
> Now, over the last 15 years I've tripped over a number of *userspace*
> things that did really stupid things when handed non-ASCII filenames,
> but that's a different issue...

That's the problem that OS/2 addressed. In OS/2 each application would
see the correct charset for its locale, no matter what the locale of the
application that created the file was. In Linux, the file system simply
doesn't have the information needed to do this, so it was a mistake to
try to imitate it.
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center