Re: JFS default behavior (was: UTF-8 in file systems? xfs/extfs/etc.)

From: Robin Rosenberg
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 07:04:20 EST

On Thursday 12 February 2004 04.54, jw schultz wrote:
> For Linux there is no policy except perhaps in userspace.
> It is up to userspace to determine what the policy will be
> regarding charset for filename storage. Common practice
> seems to be utf-8.

Isn't it is the user's locale, whatever that is? I believe my file names
use ISO-8859-1 (except ntfs, vfat). In northern/western europe
ISO-8859-1 is common. (Sometimes ISO-8859-15 which for all
practical purposes is backwards compatible with 8859-1). UTF-8 is
gaining terrain though since it is now the default in some distributions
even for Nordic languages (causing big problems for those not
expecting it).

-- robin