Re: devfs vs udev, thoughts from a devfs user

From: Bill Rugolsky Jr.
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 07:35:04 EST

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 07:50:49AM +0000, viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 05:16:00PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > Doesn't work for what we want here:
> >
> > $ mkdir /tmp/a /tmp/b
> > $ mount -t ramfs none /tmp/a
> > $ touch /tmp/a/foo
> > $ mount --move /tmp/a /tmp/b
> > $ ls /tmp/b
> > foo
> > $ umount /tmp/a
> > $ ls /tmp/b
> > $
> >
> > Hm, not nice :(
>
> Huh? Is that a bug report or just your guess at what would happen if you
> tried the above?
>
> If it _does_ happen - we have a problem and I'd like to know which versions
> have such bug.

Ugh, /etc/mtab really ought to die.

Anyway, with traditional /etc/mtab, mount --move produces:

none on /tmp/a type ramfs (rw)
/tmp/a on /tmp/b type none (rw)

ln -sf /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab and retry, it works fine:

none on /tmp/b type ramfs (rw)

I'll have a look at mount later today, if nobody else gets there first.

-Bill