Kernel 2.6.2, initrd, /dev/ram

From: Martin Bogomolni
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 21:16:47 EST

I have a mini-distribution that runs from CD-ROM using H Peter Anvin's
ISOLINUX/SYSLINUX boot loader. While upgrading it to kernel 2.6, I have
come across a behavioral difference between 2.4 and 2.6 that may impact
other users of the 2.6 kernel.

With kernel 2.4, to boot an initial ramdisk, I would use the following
arguments appended to the kernel :

linux24 ramdisk_size=32000 root=/dev/ram rw

----

With kernel 2.6, the same arguments result in an error message. Neither
devfs nor udev are enabled, the distribution relies on pre-created /dev
entries in the ramdisk.

However, the kernel will boot but -not- enter the ramdisk if root=/dev/ram.
The entry has to be changed to root=/dev/ram0 in order for a successful boot.

Why has this change of behavior occured?

Martin B.